Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Book Review | THE AWAKENING by Amanda Stevens


     
March 28th, 2017, Mira
My name is Amelia Gray, and I'm a cemetery restorer who lives with the dead. An anonymous donor has hired me to restore Woodbine Cemetery, a place where the rich and powerful bury their secrets. Forty years ago, a child disappeared without a trace and now her ghost has awakened, demanding that I find out the truth about her death. Only I know that she was murdered. Only I can bring her killer to justice. But the clues that I follow—a haunting melody and an unnamed baby's grave—lead me to a series of disturbing suspects. 

I have been a fan of this series ever since I requested for the 1st book via NetGalley. I highly recommend that you pick a copy now if you haven’t already. The Restorer completely hooked me and left me in agony for the next book, then the next, and then, the next.  Amelia Gray, the protagonist, was a huge curiosity for me.  I never imagined a cemetery restorer was an actual career until I met her. I’ve watched her evolve from book to book. Having her powers never excused her from being vulnerable, but her resilience is palpable and very admirable. And I have always rooted for her.

Ms. Amanda created a vivid atmosphere for this series. She captured Charleston for the readers and projected it into something we could actually breathe in and consume. Every book contains an escalating plot that would eventually boil into an eerie, yet satisfying read.

Again, THE AWAKENING is no exception. Amelia knew from the beginning that restoring Woodbine Cemetery would mean uncovering a secret. It may be a secret far darker from anything she had encountered before. And being in proximity with John Devlin and the Conge will not make anything easier for her. Death may even be inevitable this time.

Shush… lest she awakens…
Saying goodbye to this series is like saying goodbye to an old friend. Of course, mine is a mixed feeling of both happiness and sadness. I am still reeling from the ending, but I couldn’t see a more fulfilling way to end it. Years from now, I would look back and be reminded that The Graveyard Queen was the series that kept me from sleeping, made me stare at my window more than I should, check my walls and ceiling, and literally duck under the covers in hunt of that elusive sleep.

Congratulations, Ms. Amanda!


Book details:
Title:  The Awakening
Author:  Amanda Stevens
Publication:  March 28th, 2017 by Mira
Genre:  Fiction / Paranormal
Rating: ★★★★★



*Graveyard Queen Series:



*Egalley was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for this honest review. 
This review contains a quote from an uncorrected copy.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment